.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Molly's Needles

My adventures in knitting... and a few other things thrown in for fun.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Massachusetts, United States

I got back into knitting because of the Harry Potter scarves and sweaters. Although I knit other items, replicating HP-wear remains my first love.

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Bamboo Socks and more


Woohoo for finishing the pair! This one went much smoother since I had already figured out the Peasant Heel as well as the number of rounds to make the foot fit nicely. As I said, this was basically the Universal Sock Pattern with a modified heel. I tried them on with a pair of black mules I have and they fit very well. I think that's what I'll wear to work tomorrow. The mules will show off the Purple People Eater Socks, too, once that pair is finished.

So, some random blog-surfing yesterday brought me to a creative approach at combining love of knitting with love of Harry Potter (and I'm always looking for something to combine those interests!). The Destiny Manifest is working on four pair of socks, each one meant to convey the essence of the four dragons in Goblet of Fire. She's finished two pair so far- Common Welsh Green and Swedish Short Snout. There's some lovely yarn lined up for the Chinese Fireball and I believe she is using Koigu for the Hungarian Horntail. After reading that, I took another look at my Step yarn and think the colors might work for a pair of Welsh Green socks. Now to find a suitable "scaly" pattern.

Now, as for the suprise I hinted at yesterday. A little while back, Margene held a series of contests leading up to her birthday. Although I didn't get any answers right- I guess my knowledge of the Utah Grrl isn't up to par- it was a fun experience. Therefore, I've decided to do the same. There will be four giveaways leading up to the anniversary of my natal day (which should be a national holiday, IMHO).

To give as many people as possible a shot at this, I'm not going to do a question like Margene did. Well, not until the last week, anyway. If you want to be entered this week, just send an e-mail to mollyblogcontest at gmail dot com and put "Birthday Contest Week One" in the message. Get your entry to me by this Saturday and I'll draw a name using a random number generator. The winner will be announced next Tuesday.


What's up for grabs, you ask? Well, a skein of Skacel Merino Lace in a soft white (1375 yards), an egg-shaped container of chocolate (because just about everyone loves chocolate!) and a few other little goodies. Hope to see your e-mails soon.

2 Comments:

Blogger dreamcatcher said...

Yay for the finished socks! I can feel myself inexorably drawn towards trying socks. Some of my shop-bought pairs have been worn to death!

I love the idea of the socks based on the GoF dragons. Can't wait to see your version of the Welsh Green :-)

And yay for your birthday contest, how lovely!

1:25 PM  
Blogger Shelle said...

Found your blog while looking for Molly Weasley sites. Come & see the Molly Weasley sweater I designed. It's on my blog, and my website. www.blogspot.com Queenie's Cabin www.crochetcabin.bravehost.com Thanks for looking! Love your stuff, too!

6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home