.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Molly's Needles

My adventures in knitting... and a few other things thrown in for fun.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Massachusetts, United States

I got back into knitting because of the Harry Potter scarves and sweaters. Although I knit other items, replicating HP-wear remains my first love.

Monday, February 06, 2006

My hands are toasty warm right now!


As promised, I am posting a pic of the finished fingerless mitten. Although you can't see it, my right hand is similarly clad. It's operating the camera so you'll have to take my word for it.

It took less than one skein of Fixation. In fact, I'm pretty sure I could get another mitt out of the skein, meaning 3 pair from 2 skeins. Not bad, huh? And I knit it very relaxed because I wanted it to stretch and fit nicely around my hand without being too tight. I lengthened the wrist portion by 4 rounds, which isn't much. The only other change I wish I had made would be to have made the thumbs a bit longer. Even 2 or 3 rounds would have been enough.

I'm quite happy with these and will probably make a few more pair up for myself and friends. Really a quick pattern and only took a couple of evenings to make. Now if the shawl and poncho go as quickly and easily!

So what's next? Well, I'm swatching for my poncho. I'm pretty sure I'll use a size 13 for it but I want to make sure that gives me the right gauge.

I'm also considering a change on Sunset Garden. No, I am not scraping the idea, just altering it. See, I really prefer square shawls to triangular ones. So I think I'll knit the center in the Shetland Leaves, like I have now, then find a simple border and edging. That should take a few days to work out, which will bring us right up to the Olympics.

After that, I have sworn to finish the Hufflepuff sweater. It's sitting in my basket and glares at me each time I walk by. I promise, that will be first up after the 26th.

2 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

i have some fixation in my stash that i haven't touched yet. is it a pain to keep your tension correct because of the spandex? or do the stitches work out pretty evenly without too much problem?

10:03 PM  
Blogger dreamcatcher said...

The fingerless mittens look great :-) Good luck with your Olympic Knitting!

1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home