.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Molly's Needles

My adventures in knitting... and a few other things thrown in for fun.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Massachusetts, United States

I got back into knitting because of the Harry Potter scarves and sweaters. Although I knit other items, replicating HP-wear remains my first love.

Sunday, February 26, 2006

A Gold Medal for me!


I finished knitting at 12:51 Friday night/Saturday morning. After some recouperative sleep, I headed down to the local hardware store and picked up a sheet of foam insulation wallboard. Not the prettiest thing, but light and easy to stick pins into. Here it is, lying on the board, in pre-blocked condition.

A little bath in the sink, 500 pins pulling it every which way, and a few hours later...


This was taken on my picnic table this morning. I would have spent a little more time adjusting it but it was starting to snow and I had only thrown my boots and jacket over my jammies. Those of you who are observant may see that it isn't really a half-circle. When I was blocking it it would have been awfully short pulled into a round so I decided to make it more of a rounded-end triangle. That got me the width I was looking for and brings the point down a reasonable distance. It's approximately 58" wide by 27" long. Being so aggressively blocked (yes, I know I said I didn't want to do that) it is more of a cobwebby shawl than something that will keep a chill off, but I think it looks lovely. Since this is the third time I've come up significantly short on a pattern from this book I think I will keep it simply for the stitch patterns and not do any more of the shawls in it.

I had a fun time competing against myself and the clock on this and hope that there will be another KAL organized in 2008 for the Summer Olympics. I'm going to give myself a few days off to recover and enjoy the Closing Ceremonies before finishing the Quidditch Sweater and beginning my next shawl. I also want to get started on a few holiday gifts so that I am not scrambling at the end of the year.

3 Comments:

Blogger Heide said...

Gorgeous Shawl and congratulations on the gold medal!

10:18 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

it's so pretty! congrats on the "gold"

wow, feeling pretty motivated there - starting the holiday gifts early!

3:04 PM  
Blogger dreamcatcher said...

It looks gorgeous, congrats on the gold medal!

7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home