.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Molly's Needles

My adventures in knitting... and a few other things thrown in for fun.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Massachusetts, United States

I got back into knitting because of the Harry Potter scarves and sweaters. Although I knit other items, replicating HP-wear remains my first love.

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Back to the drawing board

Don't you hate it when you put all sorts of work into something and then realize that it just isn't working? That's what happened with Stóra Dimun. The pattern is great- the lace is very easy and quickly memorized but the yarn just wasn't doing it for me. I love the softness of the Shimmer but the colors were too strong and obscuring the pattern. I still want to do this shawl but I think it will have to wait until I pick up some fingering weight in a solid color.

In the meantime, I still need to occupy myself until the Knitting Olympics start. I've got a ton of Gossamer in Rose Garden that I've been wanting to do something with but it's also a bold color scheme so I haven't yet. However, I think the Lacy Prairie Shawl from Folk Shawls will work. I've knit this before with a thicker yarn and it went fairly quickly. If I'm not done in time for the Olympics, I will set it aside, but since I don't want it until summer that isn't a problem.

And I've decided what I will make from the Lacey Lamb for the Olympics. I'm going to do the Half Circle Fan-Stitch Shawl from Martha Waterman's book, Traditional Knitted Lace Shawls. Since I've done two shawls from that book and been a bit shy on the final size (probably due to my tension) I'll use a size 4 for it. Wish me luck!

3 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

Good Luck on the shawl! That's quite an undertaking!

7:40 PM  
Anonymous Gina said...

Ooh, I can't wait to see how your shawl turns out. I think this is going to be a pretty fun challenge!

9:29 PM  
Blogger dreamcatcher said...

Best of luck with the Olympic challenge! I'm not participating but will be interested to see everyone's finished items :-)

1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home