.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Molly's Needles

My adventures in knitting... and a few other things thrown in for fun.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Massachusetts, United States

I got back into knitting because of the Harry Potter scarves and sweaters. Although I knit other items, replicating HP-wear remains my first love.

Monday, August 22, 2005

When to stop?

My Os and Vs shawl is just about finished. I think. I measured last night as best I could and got just over 16 inches from center to needle. (Not the easiest thing because it's bunched on the needle, but it's pretty close.) That would mean a diameter of 32 inches. I'm doing one more pattern repeat and an edging which will add a total of 5 more inches, so we're looking at roughly 37 inches across when it comes off the needles.

In the book, Martha Waterman said her shawl (knit in a 75/25 wool/nylon blend) was 34 inches across and not blocked. Mine is 100% wool and I would like to open it up a bit. I figure I can get 42 inches across without being too agressive with the pattern. My question is do you think a 42-inch diameter circular shawl is big enough? I have more yarn and could go larger but I'm hesitant for a few reasons. First, I need to mail it off in a little over two weeks and don't want to be late or rushed on the blocking and drying. Second, I'm nearing the end of a skein and if I don't have to break into a new one, I have a better idea of how much I used for the next time I make this. (Yes, the second reason is somewhat spurious, but I do want to make it again and would like an idea of the yardage used.)

My aunt is about 5'7" tall and very slender. This isn't supposed to be a giant enveloping shawl but I also don't want it to look like she stole something from her year-old granddaughter, either.

Any suggestions before I hit the end of the next repeat (which will likely take a couple days since I am now working with 600 stitches on the round) would be helpful.

Oh, and once that's off the needles I get to start my Cobweb Evening Shawl! *drool*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home