.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Molly's Needles

My adventures in knitting... and a few other things thrown in for fun.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Massachusetts, United States

I got back into knitting because of the Harry Potter scarves and sweaters. Although I knit other items, replicating HP-wear remains my first love.

Saturday, August 13, 2005

It's that time of year...

When everyone starts coming out with their new yarns. Was I talking about enablers in my last post? Well, check out Knit Picks for their new line of yarns. Tons of yummy colors, textures and weights to tempt everyone. Personally, my fingers are itching to get hold of some Panache (a bulky cashmere, silk, baby alpaca, merino blend) or Shadow, a lovely heathered lace yarn. Yes, I know that is both ends of the spectrum, but I am entitled to be changable like that!

I also would like to do a Hatmione and Hermittens for myself, as my last one was presented as a gift. The author of those patterns, Lauren, has mentioned that she will be doing some in Andean Silk. If she reports that it is easy to work with and the cables stand up nicely (a concern she expressed) I may have to look into it, too.

In the meantime, I have been working on my Quidditch sweater (which progresses), the PS/CoS Ravenclaw scarf (liking the colors more and more as each stripe emerges) and the Os and Vs shawl. I'm estimating that I'm 75% done on that, although it's hard to tell when it's all bunched on the needles. And since I'm over 500 stitches now, I am not slipping it on waste yarn to see just how big it is. I figure another skein and a half will finish it. Or the middle of September, whichever comes first. Hmm. Maybe some of that Shadow would make a nice version, either doubled (the pattern calls for fingering weight) or singled and more airy. Can't explain my obsession with shawls lately. Maybe it has to do with my love of things old and that women wore them as a matter of course then. Of course, they also wore corsets, so not everything old is needed to be dragged up with us.

Well, I'm off to get a few more rounds done on Os and Vs before I throw everything aside in disgust and heat exhaustion.

4 Comments:

Blogger impromptu-mom said...

I love shawls! When I was pregnant with my daughter a few years ago, I couldn't stop making them. I didn't know how to knit at the time (I wish I had!) so they we're crocheted. Now that I know how to knit, I've been looking for the perfect pattern for one to make for myself for Christmas. Any suggestions? As soon as I fininsh the SS/CoS Gryffendor scarf that I am working on, I plan to start. Only one more stripe to go!

8:20 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

There are a couple of books that should be easy to find at bookstores or libraries: Folk Shawls by Cheryl Oberle has some very nice ones based on designs from all over the world.

Also, Meg Swanson has A Gathering of Lace. I've got my eye on the Spiral Shawl, which is beautiful and easy.

Those two should give you plenty of places to start.

10:02 AM  
Blogger impromptu-mom said...

Erin,
Thanks so much for the suggestions! I've already taken a look at "Folk Shawls". I'm trying to get up the courage to start something so ambitious, with my limited skills, lol! I put in a request for "A Gathering of Lace" at the local library. Aparently, it's a very good book. I have six other people ahead of me in line before it's my turn!

6:48 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

They aren't as hard as you think. Just break down the sections, use lots of stitch markers (it's easier to find a mistake within 15-20 stitches than 300!) and use lifelines if you feel the need. The basic stitches used in both books are really not that complicated.

7:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home