.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Molly's Needles

My adventures in knitting... and a few other things thrown in for fun.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Massachusetts, United States

I got back into knitting because of the Harry Potter scarves and sweaters. Although I knit other items, replicating HP-wear remains my first love.

Thursday, July 28, 2005

Quidditch sweater/ Puffs- betcha can't make just one

The yarn for my Quidditch sweater came last night. I cast on and started working, but ripped it out after a few rounds and began again today. Why? Well, originally I was doing a 1x1 rib all the way, but I didn't really like it. So now I'm going to use a K2P1 rib all the way up.

I also decided to work the sleeves from the top down. That will do two things: 1) I won't have to set them into place (yay!) and 2) I can more easily line up my black stripe with the body so they will be even. This means that the only seaming to take place will be the shoulders. Yay for that!

I've also been playing with the Pygmy Puff pattern, and as mentioned earlier, I have it the way I want. Since it's a bit changed from what I've given out, I thought I'd just post it here. Feel free to skip this. :)


I make mine out of Plush yarn, but anything that is soft, brushes up a bit and you have lying around will work.

Using US4 (3.5mm) needles, cast on 9 stitches.

Row 1: Knit 6. Turn.
Row 2: Purl 3. Turn.
Row 3: Knit 5. Turn.
Row 4: Purl 7. Turn.
Row 5: Knit to end.
Row 6: Purl to end.

Repeat rows 1-6 five more times. Bind off all stitches, leaving a long tail. Sew "top" together (I use a running stitch and draw it closed like you would the top of a hat), then seam down the back. Turn the piece so the purl side is out. Stuff firmly with polyfill and close the "bottom". Weave yarn ends into piece. Apply a face with beads or scraps of yarn and brush to bring up a halo (a cat's slicker brush works great).

That's all there is to it! I should warn you that they are addictive and once you start you may want a whole bunch of them. Oh, for authenticity's sake, the colors mentioned in the book were shades of purple and pink. But feel free to use your favorite colors.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anne said...

You know, when it comes to English knitting terminology I'm always completely at sea, so I don't think I'll make my own pygmy puff too soon ;) I do believe you they're addictive, though. I bet when I'll be visiting you some time in the next year, you'll have the house full of them *hehe* And then you can show me how you make them!

5:09 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

That probably would be easier! Except I might confuse you with my left-hand knitting! :)

The more I look at these, the more I think they really are wizarding world tribbles! ;)

8:29 PM  
Blogger Dragonsinger said...

A beginning knitter here...bit confused

on row 1, you only knit 6 out of 9 stitches?
then only purl 3 out of the stitches??
thanks for helping

Mary

10:47 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Mary,

Yes, you leave stitches un-knit on the first 4 rows. What you are doing is called short-row. It causes the center to bow out and creates a curve in your knitting.

To get the feel for it, you might want to try with a non-fuzzy yarn so you can see what is happening. After the second repeat you should see the curve nicely.

Hope that helps. Let me kow if you run into any problems. :)

7:12 AM  
Anonymous Anne said...

Oh yes, I forgot you're a leftie *sighs* Then I'll never learn to make pygmy puffs :,( ;)

5:19 PM  
Anonymous Char said...

A "leftie" can teach a "rightie" or visa versa. Just sit facing each other, instead of side by side!

7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home