.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Molly's Needles

My adventures in knitting... and a few other things thrown in for fun.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Massachusetts, United States

I got back into knitting because of the Harry Potter scarves and sweaters. Although I knit other items, replicating HP-wear remains my first love.

Sunday, April 24, 2005

Charting unknown waters

I've said before that it is discouraging to pick up a magazine or book and see that the patterns are written for women smaller than me. I've also said that I should bite the bullet and learn to create my own garments so I know they fit. Well, I am now putting my money where my mouth is; which explains why I have been a bit quiet the last week.

Rather than make another Hourglass from the Cotton-Ease I picked up (not that I don't love the sweater!) I decided to use the yarn to create my own design. I figure that this way I'll have something in a weight that can be worn now and if it doesn't turn out well the yarn didn't cost me an arm and a leg.

So. I have two designs running around my head. One of which is making its way to paper and is about to be tested. It is a pullover with waist shaping and a square neckline. I also found a panel I like to run down the center. Stacked hearts on a reverse stockinette ground. Rather than rib I am planning to do an edging around the waistline and cuffs. The whole thing will be done in Cherry Red and I'm calling it Rochester. Well, it's sort of a romantic look (or, I hope it will be) so I needed a name that evokes romance. I've been scribbling and crossing out and cursing my inadequacies, but I think I may actually have something. Whether it will look like a sweater when I'm done or not remains to be seen but I'm going to give it a try.

The other design? A short sleeved scoop neck in a checkerboard design on the body. Sleeves in stockinette. That will be in Candy Blue. Because of the pattern I'm calling that Alice. OK. Yeah, I'm a bookworm and a geek.

So if you don't see me about for a bit, that would be why. And if you see mushroom clouds in the area of Eastern Massachusetts, that would also be why.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home